What We Believe

As Lutherans we believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. We teach and confess the truth of God's Word as summarized in the confessional writings of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. We profess the three ecumenical creeds (the Apostles', the Nicene, and the Athanasian), the Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments; and embrace these writings as direction from God, which are contained in "The Book of Concord".



 A Brief History of our Church

 

    In 1870 Pastor Friedrich Sievers came to Alpena and ministered to a small group of Lutherans and in 1872 a congregation was organized.  A small wooden church was erected on Second Avenue.  In 1888 a fire burned this church and another church was erected on the same location and was dedicated in 1889.  In 1923 the congregation decided to build a new stone church.  The church was built and then dedicated in 1939.

     Later, a decision was made to build a new school on at the church location. In 1958 the present school was built and dedicated under the leadership of Pastor Gerhard Luebke.  The school was built on Wilson Street property which was donated by Jesse Besser, leaving additional acreage for future construction of a church on the same location.

    Following continuous growth in congregational membership, ground-breaking for the new church took place in 1993.  The new church which is adjacent to the school on Wilson Street, was constructed under the leadership of Pastor David Nickel, with the assistance of Pastor James Erickson.  The present church building was dedicated to the Lord on July 10, 1994


    In 2014, Pastor Joshua Schultz, took over as associate pastor to the Lord's flock of Immanuel Lutheran Church.
.